It’s time for New York Comic Con again! This year, we are pleased to announce that the Tor: The Next Generation! stage from BEA has been chosen as a panel. As always, Tor Books will continue its popular in-booth (#2223) signings and giveaways, offering you a chance to meet your favorite authors and pick up free books! Our exciting line-up includes author appearances by , , , and more!
Be sure to follow on Twitter for up-to-date information and last minute events.
Thursday, October 8th
• 12:00pm Tor Booth Signing: – John Scalzi
• 1:30pm – 2:30pm Tor: The Next Generation!, Room 1A18
Tor Books celebrates 35 years of publishing quality SFF by some of the biggest names in genre today! But even Orson Scott Card and Brandon Sanderson were once unknowns. Meet 2015’s new authors and see what makes them tick in a game of “Would You Rather” with host John Scalzi () and featuring: Ilana C. Myer (), Seth Dickinson (), Lawrence M. Schoen (), and Fran Wilde ().
Panelists: , , ,
Rm: 350 seat room
• 2:45pm – Signing to follow, Bookstore Hall 1-B
• 2:00pm Tor Booth Signing: – David Mack
• 5:00pm Tor Booth Signing: and – Fran Wilde and Lawrence M. Schoen joint signing
Friday, October 9th
• 12:00pm Tor Booth Signing: – Ilana C. Myer
• 2:00pm Tor Booth Signing: – Ian McDonald
• 5:00pm Tor Booth Signing: – Seth Dickinson
• 5:15pm Science in Fiction, Room 1B03
Look at something like The Martian vs. The Fold vs. the Iron Man movies. Is hard science always a good thing? Authors discuss the pros and cons and the sometimes slippery slope of including hard science in a work of fiction, especially in a paradigm era of technological development.
Panelists: A.G. Riddle, Mindy McGinnis, Robin Wasserman, , Barry Lyga
Moderator: Peter Clines
• 6:45 PM – Signing to follow, Bookstore Hall 1-B
Saturday, October 10
• 12:00pm Tor Booth Signing: – Peter Orullian
• 1:30pm Masters of Unreality: Heavy Metal and SFF, Room 1A18
It’s well known that heavy metal songs have been based on fantasy novels; however, it can be argued that they’re also the perfect soundtrack to any battle scene, whether deep in the forest or in deep space. Authors Myke Cole, Michael Fletcher, and are not just talented writers, but they’ve all been in metal bands! Join them along with James Dashner as they discuss what they listen to as they write epic scenes, discuss seminal albums and how the two cross reference each other.
Panelists: , Myke Cole, Michael R. Fletcher
Moderator: Tricia Narwani of Del Rey
• 1:45pm Signing to follow
• 2:00pm Tor Booth Signing: – Charlie Jane Anders
• 4:00pm Books to Movies Wishlist, Room A101
The Martian. Foundation. American Gods. Redshirts: So many iconic SFF novels are finally scheduled to it the big screen, thanks to the rabid fandom of recent dramatizations of Game of Thrones, Outlander, The Hunger Games, and Divergent. But what’s on the big screen wish list of this panel of bestselling speculative fiction superstars? They all agree that the obvious franchises have been done already – and now, they want to discuss with NYCC attendees what lesser-know/cult fave titles should invade theaters and march into cable programming! Join us for a nerdy-fun discussion about which science fiction and fantasy must-reads would really make celluloid magic!
Panelists: Christopher Golden, Chuck Wendig, Jennifer Armentrout,
Moderator: Michael Underwood
• 5:15pm Signing to Follow, Bookstore Hall 1-B
• 5:00pm Tor Booth Signing: – Catherynne M. Valente
Sunday, October 11
• 12:00pm Tor Booth Signing:– Michael Swanwick
• 1:30pm Get Out of Your Chair and Off the Planet! Room A101
Whether it’s satisfying readers’ desires for interstellar armchair travel or sparking ambitions for SF fans to pursue extra-terrestrial encounters, in actuality, science fiction is the fiction of the imagination and inspiration. Authors , Jay Allen, , Judd Winnick, CH Higgin stake readers to the final frontier … and beyond.
Panelists: , , CH Higgins, Judd Winnick
Moderator: Maryelizabeth Hart
• 2:45pm Signing to follow, Bookstore Hall 1-B
*Giveaways are on a first-come, first-served basis